First Trimester Surgical Abortion
Also referred to as suction-aspiration, or vacuum-aspiration abortions
Gestational Age: 6 to 12 weeks
Typical Cost of First Trimester Surgical Abortion in Illinois: $450-$750
Procedure for a Surgical Abortion
- The patient lies on her back with her feet in stirrups and a speculum is inserted in her vagina.
- A local anesthetic (pain medication is used). Some sedation may be used if desired by the patient.
- Tapered rods (candle-stick shaped) are used to gradually open the cervix rods. Local anesthetic may be administered.
- A cannula (a thin, hollow tube connected to a suction device) is inserted through the cervix into the uterus to suction out the baby and placenta.
- The procedure usually lasts 15-20 minutes, but in-clinic recovery may take a few hours.1
The surgical abortion procedure usually requires only one office visit. Vacuum- or suction-aspiration is approximately 99% effective.
More Information about Abortion
- What is Abortion
- The Abortion Pill – First Trimester, before 7 weeks
- First Trimester Surgical Abortion – 6 to 12 weeks
- Second Trimester Surgical Abortion – 13 weeks to point of viability
- Abortion Costs
- After Abortion Care
- IL Abortion Law
- National Abortion Federation. (n.d.). Abortion Facts. Retrieved from http://prochoice.org/education-and-advocacy/about-abortion/abortion-facts/ ↩